Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Orange Loaf - 1936
2 cups pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon Arm & Hammer or Cow Brand Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, or other shortening
1 cup sugar
Grated rind of 1 orange
3/4 cup orange juice, strained
1. Sift, then measure the flour. Sift three times with the baking soda and salt.
2. Cream the butter until light and lemon colored. Add sugar gradually, beating after each addition.
3. Slowly add the eggs which have been beaten until they are almost as stiff as whipped cream.
4. Add the orange rind. Alternately add the dry ingredients and orange juice, beating until smooth after each addition.
5. Turn into a greased paper lined 6 x 10 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
6. When cool, frost with Coconut Orange Frosting.
Orange Coconut Frosting
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup grated coconut
1. Cream butter until very soft.
2. Add sugar gradually, thinning with orange juice to spreading consistency. Beat until smooth.
3. Beat coconut into frosting.
Amount: 1 1/2 cups
Recipe taken from Successful Baking for Flavor and Texture by Martha Lee Anderson, copyright 1936, Church & Dwight Co.